Friday, May 6, 2011

Sirena's Nightmare

Sirena wakes in the middle of the night to find the door to her house open. Shivering in the cold, she rises and closes it. Slipping back into bed, her mind wanders over a list of possible offenders. A dark figure comes to mind and she shudders at the thought. She had noticed him watching her at the Beltane Festival and he had been several times to The Place, each time exhibiting odd behavior. She recalls one such meeting:

Sirena says to the stranger "Welcome to The Place. I am Sirena, Manager and First Dancer." She does not ask his name, knowing that most guests prefer to remain unnamed.

Nightmare smirks "Your the girl from the kissing both".

Sirena grimaces "oh, how I wish I hadn't done that. I must have been mad. But then, I am not used to drinking such wine"

Nightmare shakes his head "Agreed, to kiss one I believe in the emotions that should be shared between the two..." Smirks at himself for even thinking of such things

Sirena says "It was my first Beltane and it was so wonderful" she stops and thinks of her God "except for the foolishness of the kiss"

Sirena says "may I offer you refreshment?"

Nightmare begins laughing "I think I will refuse... on that."

Sirena says "then why did you seek The Place? Most come here for a quiet meeting or a smoke"

Nightmare goes silent for a moment "I was looking for you..."

Sirena looks at the man "Many come here to see me dance. I am easy to find"

Nightmare shakes his head and goes into silence

Sirena says "It is early yet for me to dance to entertain the guests.” She looks around the empty room. “Are you sure you do not want some wine?"

Nightmare takes a breath "You wished to talk to me... but it seems the memory of that has come to a lose."

Sirena shrugs "I am unaccustomed to drinking and I took too much yesterday. I do not remember what we were speaking of. Perhaps you could refresh my memory?"

Nightmare sighs and begins to walk away

Sirena watches him walk away and shrugs

She burrows deeper under her sleeping furs as she thinks of how he stood on the bridge last night , watching her, and she thinks how fortunate it was that Damian was there to convince him to leave.

The dark figure had appeared at The Place last night while she was dancing and once again he was silent and brooding. She thinks he followed her to the Healing Ceremony but she is not sure. Suddenly afraid of the dark, she lights the candle and tries to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment