Saturday, April 30, 2011

Darach Seanathair (Grandfather Oak)

The challenge:

A Giant Oak was placed on Taure Ru as part of the new terra forming. This is a very very special oak and will hold a special place of honor in the lore of the United Kingdoms of Taure Ru. You are invited to help create that lore by submitting a proposed name and back story for this tree. (must be under 500 words.) Winner will be awarded the honor of reading their back story at the Beltane Feast on May 1.

Chene's Reply:

The dryad settled at the great roots of the huge tree in the forest of Taure Rue and it seemed to hover over her protectively. She leaned her head against the trunk as her mind linked with the old oak. “Ancient One, when I first came to this place you were not here. Why did you come?”

She heard his ponderous voice deep within her mind. “Daughter of the Trees, I am here because of an Amhran, a song of great need, not the song that you and your Sisters sing when you speak with the Ancient Ones, nor the melody you croon when you Sing a Tree. This song expressed hope of renewal for a land that had become dry and sere, a wasteland of rotting stumps and scorched earth. The Elders heard the song that your Mór Shaman fashioned and sent me as Caomhnóir ar an Iarmhéid, Guardian of the Balance.

“It is given to me to protect all of the creatures of the woods and the plants of the earth no matter if they be dark or light. The world was meant to encompass both the shadow and the sunlight; one cannot exist without the other. Listen and you will hear the wolves howl at the moon and the snakes slither in the grass. The insects that sting and the wild beasts that feast on flesh; all of these I have summoned to aid me in keeping the balance. My roots go deep and wide that I may feel the power within the earth and my crown reaches high that I may hear the song created as every thing exists together, whether that be in discord or in harmony. When consulted, I will provide guidance and counsel and occasionally I may give this even when not asked.” The great oak shook its leaves in silent laughter.

The dryad smiled to herself. A wise old oak with a sense of humor would be a welcome addition to the forest. “Do you have a name, Ancient One?”

The tree cautiously replied, “I have had many names throughout the ages, Little One. Some souls call me Oude Eik Verweerd and others name me Pohon Dari Usia. I have answered to Sage Vieux Chêne and Darach d’Aois. I acknowledge all of these names for I am not the same to each of you.”

The dryad gently laid her hand upon the aged tree and said softly “My own name for you will be Athair Mór de Mo Chroí, but I will call you Darach Seanathair in the presence of others.”

When she had said this she felt the tree tremble and heard a gentle rustle of leaves as the breeze sighed through his branches and he spoke in her mind. “Ingen mo chroí, I tell you that as long as I, Darach Seanathair, stand here, the balance of shadow will remain.” And the dryad lifted her head in delight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, Chene is back. Emy was asked to bring her Maypole dance and Alk's minstrel's skills to the Beltane Festival this year and since SweetPea is gone, Chene was resurrected. Look for more stories to be shared...

No comments:

Post a Comment