Friday, May 20, 2011

The Ranger meets a Dryad

Chêne runs through the woods enjoying the feel of the breeze in her hair and the forest floor beneath her feet. She stops short when she sees a face in the forest and runs for the closest tree to shield beside it.

Ambere believes she heard a noise; she holds very still and looks around. She sees a flash as someone disappears behind a large tree. Then she softly says "vedui."

Chêne peers around the tree and sees a young female elf. She notices the green color of her kirtle first, a color that blends with the trees, and then she sees the brown, like bark of the trees. This is a creature designed to blend into nature. She is suddenly not fearful and walks forward. "Vedui" she says.

Ambere perks up, surprised she approaches so quickly, smiles. She slowly holds out both hands palms up to show they are empty.

Chêne looks at the elf's hands and then at the bow on her back. She says "I have seen other of your kin and they have never done the forest harm. It is just the fairies I need to watch. Why do you come here?"

Ambere’s face shows surprise "I am looking for someone. A man told me there is someone out to harm the wolf pack."

Chêne shrugs "The wolf pack protects their own."

Ambere nods "They do, however it was suggested that the rangers be on the lookout for him. I am a ranger in training. Perhaps if I spot him I will impress our commander."

Chêne laughs "You are a ranger ...of Torgan I hope. And that would explain why you dress as one of the forest: to hide in the woods. Nature protects those who are good to her."

Ambere nods "of Torgan. Rangers need to blend in with the landscape."

Chêne says “I have seen the Sylvan Rangers here and they tend to stick out. It is good to see someone who knows ways of the land."

Ambere touches one of her ears "and I am an elf, not a wood elf as the king suggested, but an elf. We frequently dress in earth colors. I love the land, it gives us life and sustains us. Without it we are dust"

Chêne asks curiously "The Sylvan Rangers are pledged to their Queen. What are you pledged to?"

Ambere: " I have not been asked to pledge to the king of this land. I will take an oath to defend the land, including the forest and the water, and her people when my training is complete."

Chêne is satisfied with her answer. “Nature does more than provide us with life. Let me show you." Ambere perks up and nods. Chêne sits on the ground and invites the elf to join her. Ambere sits, wondering what is coming next. Chêne puts her hand on the ground. "Still your ears and your body. Listen with your hand."

Ambere gives her a quizzical look, places her hand on the ground, and goes into a quiet meditative state feeling at ease with the dryad. Chêne asks quietly, "What can you hear? What do you feel?"
 
Ambere sighs, and breathes deeply "I feel the textures of the grasses, some dry, some soft, a few bits prickling me, the breeze floating gently over my skin." She smiles thinking the answer would be much different if she lifted her hand and tried, but that was not what was requested.

Chêne laughs softly "That is good. But if you can, feel deeper. The great root from Darach Seanathair travels beneath us. You can hear the heartbeat of the land."

Ambere thinks and then says "mmm.....The grasses are cool. I have never tried to feel under the earth."

Chêne says "Close your eyes. Can you hear the wing beats from the hawks high on Mount Vaurk?"

Ambere closes her eyes again "I hear crickets, birds, the movement of small animals through the foliage."

Chêne nods and says "I think the wind is the easiest for one who is not of the forest . You can hear, but you can sense too. It is always here, around us."
Ambere nods "I sense, not as deeply as one whose life is tied to the forest, but I do."

Chêne turns her face to the sky, "It is dark in this forest, but the light and the sun is always here. Can you feel the warmth on your face?"

Ambere lifts her face, moves until a beam hits her "oh yes"

Chêne says "It is good to know the sun is always with us. And so is the water. Is your hearing keen enough to hear it flowing?"

Ambere focuses her attention in the direction of the river and nods

Chêne asks "What does it say to you?"

Ambere looks at her "It doesn't say anything. I am aware of the noise, of its presence in the forest." She decides to share something that has not been asked "If I lift my hands, I can feel the energies around us. I can tell the direction the strongest ones come from. I could feel the energy from the waters, from trees, from the sky.” She smiles "It is one of nature’s gifts to us, that we can freely use those energies to fuel our own."

Chêne returns the smile, "And do you know how to tap those energies yet? It is something I am just beginning to learn. I have always felt nature and it has always been with me, but I have never used any of the offerings the land gives us except as is needed for my sustenance.”

Ambere nods, "I do. They help build my energy to start the day, and keep me going throughout the evening, when my energy wanes. Some can tap throughout the day. I am not usually that good."

Chêne says "When I become one with the oak that is my home, I feel his energy keenly. He gives it to me anew daily. Perhaps you and I both receive gifts from the same life source."

Ambere is surprised this dryad she just met would be willing to share the energies of her home tree freely with a stranger. Not understanding what the dryad meant, she says "Yours is a generous offer."

Ambere realizes she has not given her name. "I am called Ambere"
Chêne smiles and replies, "Ambere, I am called Chene in your tongue. I give you the name, but not it’s meaning, which you will have to discover for yourself. I trust you because I have never met an elf that has abused that trust. I know that you will respect not only nature, but also the balance of nature. This I believe."

Ambere says "I thank you for gifting me with your name. Elves are inherently respectful of nature and rangers are pledged to protect it."

Chêne smiles "You are the first ranger I have spoken with and it has been good."

Ambere gives her a warm smile "I am glad."

Chêne sighs "And that is not the truth. I forgot I had spoken with one who was Sylvan, but he would not speak of nature, only of me. Perhaps there is something in this land here that only Torgans can feel the love of it"

Ambere: "Perhaps it draws a different sort of person to it."

Chêne: I have been to the center of one of the elven places claimed by their queen. There is no heart there."

Ambere: "I do not find either land beautiful; bits of both are attractive, but lands so torn in strife cannot be beautiful. And this one is the darker of the two. Perhaps their queen is lighter than the king that rules here."

Chêne says "It is not the way for nature to vie against itself, except when the seasons change, and even that is needed for renewal. But it is man who constantly thinks his way is best and all others must embrace it. Do they not understand that for every storm there is a rainbow and for every dark night there is a glorious morning? The shadow and the light must live together."

Ambere shakes her head "Most are so caught up in their small worlds, they do not lift their faces to the light or feel the sunbeams. They do not see the light. You are wise."


Chêne shakes her head "I am not wise. I only speak what I feel in my heart. It is a feeling deep within me."

Ambere nods "Your heart has absorbed wisdom. We would all do well to remember that light and shadow must both exist and cohabit the world."

Chêne nods "I would be happy to speak of this again with you, Ambere, but I must go." She stands.

Ambere says "I am glad you trusted enough to venture forth from the tree Chene, it was good to meet you.” She stands, “safe paths.”

Chêne smiles "may the winds of the air bring you swiftness."

Ambere walks slowly, focusing again on the small details around her as she looked carefully for signs of others moving along the path or crossing it, hoping to see clues as to the whereabouts of the one who would harm the wolves.

No comments:

Post a Comment