Sunday, March 6, 2011

Sirena explains Belenus to Jordon

Sirena says "Jordon, I know I have tried to explain about my god to you, but perhaps this story will make you understand." Jordon settles on the ground to listen. Sirena sits on front of him and continues. “I placed a poster on the wall at Sylvhara advertising for a position and a man answered it. He paid a lot of coin and asked me to dance for him. So I did what he had paid for. I dedicated the dance to Belenus as was proper, and when I was finished I bowed to the man, ready to leave. But the man asked for one more dance because the hour was not yet gone, so I danced just for the man." Sirena hangs her head and whispers "That was my mistake. Later, Belenus came to me in the fire again and said he was not pleased. I had danced for another other than Him. So he took the dance from me for three days and took the memory of that night from the man who watched me dance." Sirena cries softly as she remembers, "Every time I took a step on the sand, my feet felt as if they were on fire. They burned and ached and I could not dance for three days." Tears fall from her eyes. "He can be a cruel God, Jordon."


Jordon reaches towards her as if to comfort her, retracts his hand wondering if it is safe to touch her, or if her god will call down anger upon her. He tries again and hesitates just short of touching. "A horrible experience for you my friend."
Sirena watches his hand pull back from hers and sighs. "I think you should go from me Jordon. Suppose he should remove all memory of me from your mind? What would I do with no friend here in this dark land?" She whispers, “I could be the death of you.”
Jordon heaves a great sigh. "I can not leave so easily after finding you again Sirena. I care too deeply for you to do so. The memory of you has sustained me for years. I will try not to do anything that will anger your god.”
Sirena says, "I have thought of you often since you left. I often wonder how different my life might have been with someone to laugh with and take away the pain. But I must behave as He asks. It is like my father all over again."
Jordon says "Oh gods, I do not know. I wish I did, but I fear the knowledge would hurt both of us.” He shakes his head at old memories "I wish I could spare you this. Is there no way?"
Sirena shakes her head "I do not know. I have been commanded by Him to study, so study I shall...all about Him. I will find a way to be free of Him."


Sirena says "I know it is nearly time for you to leave again, but I would give you something before you go" She draws a small stone out of her pouch. "This is for you. Keep it safe and hold it in your hand when you think of me." Jordon holds out his hand and watches a small shiny stone drop in it. Sirena says "I do not know what it does, but I was told by the mage who gave it to me that it was powerful. I want you to have it."
Jordon folds his fingers about the stone, unfolds his fingers and brushes it with his lips feeling her warmth radiate through it. He looks at the face of his dear friend. "I will treasure this small bit of you"
Sirena blushes "I will keep this picture of you in my mind ‘til we meet again." She touches the back of his hand with her finger and sighs.
Jordon sighs "And you are correct, it is time for me to depart my dear."
Sirena stands "Safe paths to you my friend. May Belenus keep you warm and fed and far from trouble."
Jordon rises to his feet. "I think I would prefer being watched over by a more kindly god."
Sirena says "He is a powerful God. You could do worse than have him on your side"
Jordon nods "I might, but I do not want to be beholding to him." He touches her lightly on the shoulder and turns to leave
Sirena watches him leave with sorrow and turns toward the dark again.

No comments:

Post a Comment