Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Reunion of Old Friends

This tale takes place in The Place of Torgan

Jordon McGillivary opens the door to the tavern and walks in

Sirena Lauria feels a slight draft from the open door and looks up. She glances at the newcomer and then abruptly stops her dance and whispers to herself "can it be?'

Jordon stands inside the door, surveying the space. Notices that it is large, but confining with pillars and a balcony. Scans to see if there is anyone around but the lady in the middle of the floor

Sirena watches the faintly familiar figure look around The Place and shakes her head. The boy she knew years ago did not have wings. Jordon says "Good day ma’am"

Sirena smiles an enigmatic smile and says "May I dance for you sir?'

Jordon turns to look to the balcony he walked under checking for others, then turns back to the lady, raises a brow "Certainly you can if you would care to ma’am. It is not an offer I get often."

Sirena looks at the man/fae again. His speech pattern reminds her of home but she cannot place who he might be. She replies "I will endeavor to do my best for you m'lord'

Jordon watches her as she bows and then begins to step with the music

Sirena asks, a bit distracted by her memories, "What brings you here m'lord?'

Jordon shrugs "traveling through" thinking of the wooden box he dropped off in lands not far from here. He thinks to himself "She is lovely; a dark skinned beauty"

Sirena says "Please rest your weary feet traveler and enjoy the braksheesh. But stay away from the bloodwine if you want your wits about you'

Jordon nods, seeks a spot to relax

Sirena turns to face the stranger again. "My name is Sirena, traveler. And I am the First Dancer here in The Place.”
Jordon settles onto a cushion and takes a puff. He starts in surprise "Sirena?!"

Sirena replies "That is the name my father gave me'

Jordon says "As a child I knew a girl named that. My name is McGillivary. Jordon McGillivary"

Sirena smiles, thinking she is sure she knows this man/fae.
Jordon uneasily wonders if he said too much, if the walls have ears

Sirena says slowly "I once knew a boy named Jordon. We would hunt frogs together and run away when our parents called."

Jordon "I was raised in a village far from here. My friend is undoubtedly married with children at her knee."

Sirena says in reply 'Perhaps, but life does not always go according to plan. Do you not find that so?' She stares at the wings on the traveler.

Jordon "Sirena and I hunted frogs.
And it is true that life does not always go as we wish.”

Sirena stops her dance and says ‘I was raised in a land far from here'

Jordon notices that she has stopped dancing although he was concentrating on her words and not her movement "You dance beautifully"

Sirena smiles ‘The dance is my only love and has often given me refuge'

Jordon "You were raised in another land? May I ask where?"


Sirena says with a scowl "my father was a merchant in Arran, which some call the Isle of Mann' She walks closer to the man/fae

Jordon: "I come from the same land. Mine were foster parents, my mother abandoned me young. The villagers cared for me until my father claimed me."

Sirena nods "Aye, I knew a boy and his life was similar. He left and then I had no one." She continues "you could be him, but he had no wings'

Jordon stands "Could you be my childhood friend? All the way in this forsaken land?"

Sirena says with joy "You ARE my friend Jordon. I know this in my heart. But why do you have wings?'

Jordon shakes his head "A truer question would be why I did not have them then. My mother was ashamed to have a faery son. I did not have them upon birth and after they grew, she made me understand even that young that they were a point of shame not pride. She trained me to hide them. She told me when she left me that the villagers would not protect me if they had knew I was fae so I continued to secret them"

Sirena whispered "And you did not tell me? I thought I was your best friend. She reaches out with her hand. “May I touch one? Is it permitted?”
Jordon nods "yes, of course you may" turns one close to her.


Sirena gently caresses the top wing and it feels velvety soft under her fingertips "Lovely' she whispers in a sultry voice.

Jordon says, "I swore to my mother I would not tell anyone regardless. She believed it would keep me safe"

Sirena looks at him with tears in her eyes "And did the secret keep you safe while you were gone? She looks at Jordon and thinks he has grown into a handsome figure of a man.

Jordon shrugs, "I am still alive. Who is to say whether it was because of my secret, or luck and skill"

Sirena says "I am sure it is skill. You were ever a clever boy.'

Jordon smiles and bows slightly "thank you. You were a smart girl and a good friend"
Sirena continues "Tell me, do you still catch frogs for the butcher?”

Jordon laughs loudly "no!!"

Sirena giggles "I think they are harder to catch when one is old."

Jordon McGillivary says "So now you work at the black market as a dancer. Quite a change for a sweet merchant's daughter. Has life treated you so badly, the road you traveled that brought you here?"

Sirena smiles sadly "It was not a road that brought me here. It was a swim, forced upon me by the captain of the ship I sailed on'

Jordon looks startled "You were fortunate not to end up as shark's food"

Sirena nods "Perhaps. I was so terrified, I did not think of that. It was a long swim to this island. And I am thankful to you for the ability to swim. Remember how we used to play in the stream? And you made me learn to swim" she smiles

Jordon chuckles "I do remember, those were good times, carefree times"

Sirena shakes her head, 'But we have both grown now. And are changed by what we have seen and done.' She does not want to tell the whole story. She looks at Jordon's wings. "How long are you staying?'

Jordon McGillivary nods, thinking he has rough times he does not wish to discuss with his good childhood friend. He shrugs "no specific time. I travel a great deal. I am known in some realms as someone able to carry messages, packages from place to place. I have no home."

Sirena says "Perhaps you can be of use here. I hear many deals being made here and they sometimes involve packages and secret travel'

Jordon sighs thinking of Arran and missing it and the sweet life where most dragons were friends and did not need to fear the swords of man

Sirena hears his sigh and says "But you are tired and thirsty. Please seek a rest and we can talk later'

Jordon nods "Good to see you again old friend" hoping they can renew their acquaintance. He opens the door and strides out, in search of lodging.

Sirena says “Farewell, my friend’ and watches him leave, praying that he will return again.

No comments:

Post a Comment